General rules regarding Assessments and Exams
INVIGILATION (INSTRUCTIONS TO STUDENTS)
- Examination will now be conducted in this room in the following subjects: (the invigilator then announces the actual subjects). Students who have not entered for these subjects must now leave the examination room.
- Cell phones are not allowed in the examination room. If your cell-phone rings during the examination period, an irregularity would be declared and you would render yourself liable to suspension from current and future examinations for a period up to 11 months.
- No explanation of examination questions may be asked for or given.
- You will not be allowed to leave the examination room within the first hour from the start of the session and during the last 15 minutes of the examination period. In an emergency a student will be allowed to leave the examination room only under supervision.
- A student must carefully read and comply with the instructions, which appear on the front cover of his or her answer script and also those on the question paper.
- You are not allowed to assist another student or try to assist him or her to get help or communicate with anybody other than the invigilators. Any questions should be directed to the invigilator.
- You may not create a disturbance in the examination room or behave in an improper or unseemly manner.
- You may not disregard the instructions of the invigilator.
- Unless otherwise stipulated for an examination, you may not have a script, memorandum, notes, maps, photos or other documents or papers (including unused paper), or other material which may be of help to you in the examination, other than that provided to you by the invigilator and the admission letter/permit in your possession, while you are in the examination room. The excuse that you have forgotten that you had it in your possession will not be accepted.
- Only calculators as approved and prescribed may be used by a student in the examination, except in subjects where these are indicated on the question paper as being prohibited.
- If you do not obey these instructions, you render yourself liable to suspension from current and future examinations, and the Department of Higher Education & Training may, in such a case, refuse to give you credit for other examination papers written.
- You will only be issued a second answer booklet once the first answer booklet is fully utilised (on every page).
- All aids and answer scripts as well as answer sheets issued to you must be handed in before you leave the examination room.
- Read any errata on a specific question paper to the student(s) concerned. You are allowed ten minutes reading time of the question paper before the official commencement of the examination during which time NO writing of any kind may take place.
- You may NOT tear out, cut out, or damage any pages of your answer script for any reason. Answers may be crossed out and you will continue to write answers in the answer book thereafter.
- As soon as you have signed out and handed in your examination script, you must leave the examination room. You will not be allowed back into the examination venue for any reason once you have signed out and handed in your examination script. No answer script will be accepted for any reason once you have signed out and left the venue.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR COMPUTER EXAMINATIONS ONLY
- You must be seated 30 minutes before the start of the examination time; this time is allocated to reading and implementing instructions. You may NOT begin typing until instructed to do so by the Invigilator.
- Ensure that all your computer printouts have your own Identity number typed in, as well as the watermark, which clearly indicates the computer station number. All printouts without these typed identification requirements (or with handwritten identity numbers) will NOT be considered for marking.
- You may not print for another candidate or have another candidate print for you. This is regarded as an examination irregularity.
- During the examination, printouts will be collected from the printer by one of the invigilators and handed immediately to each student identified by the identity number and watermark (computer number). No student will be permitted to leave his/her station to go to the printer.
- Ensure that you save your work on a regular basis. It is the candidates’ responsibility to protect their answers, through regular saving in order to prevent loss of work. No extra time will be allocated for such loss of work.
- Save your work correctly. It is not the responsibility of the Invigilator or Technician to “find” work that has been incorrectly saved and “lost”.
- You may not request the Invigilator to assist you in any way unless the computer freezes or is faulty and needs the intervention of the IT Technician or his designate; or if there is a fault in the question paper and needs the intervention of the Chief Invigilator.
- All printouts which you regard as errors must be crossed out and inserted at the back of your folder. (No printouts may be discarded or thrown into the dust bin).
For Information Processing and Office Data Processing:
- Invigilator must have either a stop watch or any watch/clock with stop watch facilities and MUST be familiar with conducting a speed & accuracy test using it;
- The speed and accuracy question will be conducted ONCE ONLY by the Invigilator, in a controlled, timed session at the beginning of the examination.
- Before the speed and accuracy question commences, you will be instructed to insert your examination number (Identity number) and question number only. Thereafter, you will wait until the Invigilator instructs you to begin and you will stop and print when the Invigilator instructs you to do so.
- The invigilator will collect and keep the printouts of this question from the printer, sign it at the end of the typed work; and only hand it out at the end of the examination to be inserted into your folder.
- If you are late and were not present during the execution of the timed speed and accuracy question, you have forfeited this question and will only be allowed to continue with the rest of the examination thereafter.
- If you were present and do not do this question, you will only be allowed to continue with the rest of the examination when the duration of the speed and accuracy question has been concluded.
- All uncontrolled speed and accuracy questions will NOT be marked. This is identified as follows:
- if a student has completed the entire speed and accuracy question within the given 10 minutes and yet is unable to complete all other questions within the balance of the 3 hours (this arouses suspicion of the speed and accuracy question not being timed and controlled and will be flagged as an irregularity).
- If the completed speed and accuracy question is not signed by the Invigilator.